Thank you for visiting the website of the Louisiana Society Daughters of the American Colonists. We welcome prospective members. If you are interested in joining one of our Louisiana chapters, please contact email@example.com
To find out more about the National Society of Daughters of the American Colonists, click the button below to visit the national website.
Any woman who is a citizen of the United States, is of good moral character, and has attained her eighteenth year, shall be eligible to membership, provided that she shall be accepted to the Society and shall meet each of the following requirements:
A. Lineal Descent. The descendant shall be of lineal descent from those men and women who were actual residents of America when it was under foreign government as colonies and who served prior to July 4, 1776 in any of the following capacities prior to July 4, 1776:
1. In battle under colonial authority
2. Under the banner of Great Britain in North America in any of the wars in which the colonists participated
3. All military and naval service of the colonies
4. Furnished supplies or troops
5. Filled office of Governor, Lieutenant Governor or Deputy Governor
6. Member or Delegate to Council or Assembly
7. Member of House of Burgesses
8. Deputy or Representative to the General Court
9. Commissioner of the United Colonies, of Boundaries or Treaties, of Import or Excise, to the French or Indians
10. Secretary, Magistrate, Selectman, Justice, Judge of any Court of Law or Equity, Attorney, Advocate, Solicitor, Juryman, Sheriff, Constable, or other form of civil Service
11. Founder or Trustee of any College in North America
12. Minister of the Gospel or Commissary of the Bishop of London
13. Member of the Committee of Safety of the Continental Congress, 1774 and 1775
14. Member of the Council of Safety of 1689
15. Signers of the Mayflower Compact and documented Mayflower passengers who arrived in Plymouth and resided in the colonies
16. Speaker of the House of Deputies
17. Physician or Surgeon
18. Member of the Provincial Congress
19. Signer of the Declaration of Independence
20. Huguenot Refugee
21. Signer of the Oath of Allegiance to Great Britain
22. Original Land Owner, not inheritor
23. Member of the London, Plymouth or Virginia Companies who actually came to the colonies, or the first immigrant descendant of any member of these companies who resided in the colonies
24. Palatine Settler
25. Convenanter from Scotland who actually came to the Colonies or the first immigrant descendant of a Convenanter from Scotland
26. Saltzburger of Georgia
B. Proof of eligibility The applicant shall submit evidence of lineal descent. Legal adoption shall not qualify for lineal descent. References submitted shall be independent of any other lineage society.
C. Allegiance to the United States of America. The applicant shall not be pledged to, or advocate by force or violence, the overthrow of the government of the United States of America or that of any state or territory therein, or be guilty of treasonable practices. This society shall have the right to expel from its membership any person for any of these causes; any questions arising under this proviso shall be determined by the Society.
D. Conformity to NSDAC governing documents. The applicant shall agree to conform to the Certificate of Incorporation, Federal Charter, Bylaws and policies adopted by the National Society.