On May 27, 1933, the bronze marker and flag staff erected at Los Adais Historical Park was dedicated by the National Society Daughters of American Colonists.
The earliest history of explorations in what is now Louisiana is somewhat obscure, but most historical evidence points to the Spanish as first explorers. French claim to Louisiana was made by La Salle at the mouth of the Mississippi in 1682. The territory he claimed for his King extended from the Gulf to Canada and across more than half the width of the continent. Eventually, it was sold to the United States in 1803 and admitted to the Union in 1812.
Los Adais was the Spanish easternmost outpost then called "New Philippians", and was founded by Marquis de Aguayo in 1721 to protect it from the French at Natchitoches. It was the capitol of the Spanish Territory of Texas until 1773 when Louisiana was ceded to Spain. Between 1721 and 1723, it was ruled by thirteen Royal Governors. A Spanish Mission on the hill by the Presidio was the only one in Louisiana.
The flag staff, the flag base and marker, and the curbing of natural stone around one of the original wells and well sweep, harmoniously blend with the natural beauty of this area. The plot had been purchased the previous year and donated to Natchitoches Parish. A wooden marker was placed at the back of the park before the erection of the permanent one.